Post Published On:
Raw Data is not useful to predict future attacks due to the fact that the Cyber-attacks have evolved into a whole new beast. They are sophisticated, well organized and use advanced techniques. Cyber threat intelligence helps organizations to predict future attacks, and to take the needed responsive actions before the attacks reach their networks, therebyenhances the organization’s security defenses.
What is threat intelligence?
Threat intelligence is the act of collecting and analyzing information about indicators of past, current and future cyber threats.
By combining the historical information with data current attack vectors, existing and exploited vulnerabilities, threat actors that are specific to your industry, then analyzing and comparing them to find any relevant information will help to predict the future attacks and prevent them. Cyber threat intelligence helps organizations to change security approach from reactive to proactive as it helps to defend the threats before they hit the organizations.
Why is threat intelligence important?
- Improve the Security posture and reduce the Security risk.
- Lower Cost – Cyber threat intelligence will reduce the risk of any incident which will in turn reduce the possibility of the attack to occur. This will save the organization from spending money for remediation and recovery if the incident occurred.
- Avoid data loss – Cyber threat intelligence system helps in preventing or blocking malicious IP addresses that are trying to hit the organization.
- Improve the efficiency of the security team – Integrating threat intelligence with any monitoring tools will help the security team to respond to any incident and improve the response time.
- Measure the security defenses – Cyber threat intelligence helps the organization analyze the different techniques of a cybercriminal. By analyzing such cyber threats, the organization can determine whether the security defense systems can block such an attack.
How can threat intelligence be improved?
- Reviewing the alerts to identify the false positives by security experts.
- Threat intelligence needs to be timely and actionable.