Veeam backup and replication 9.5 is a very popular backup and DR software used by enterprises. Making sure you have three copies of your data in two different locations is very important.
As customers move from local on-premise infrastructure to a hybrid cloud infrastructure, they need to rethink about their business continuity strategy too. To make things easier for Veeam customers, Veeam team have given integration AWS and Microsoft Azure. In this article we will look closely at the differences of using AWS vs Microsoft Azure with Veeam.
Veeam with AWS
- Veeam integrates well with AWS S3 or AWS Glacier via AWS Storage Gateway.
- Veeam with the AWS gateway in VTL mode offers a solution for anyone to connect their on-premises, Veeam Backup & Replication archives to AWS.
- Leveraging the AWS gateway to act as a VTL within Veeam allows users to send archival backups to AWS to save time and money.
Below is a sample design for deploying a AWS gateway in VTL mode.
Components part of the solution :-
- Veeam backup and replication 9.5 (on-premise)
- Machine to run AWS Storage Gateway (on-premise)
- AWS S3
- AWS Glacier (optional, used for archiving)
Veeam and Microsoft Azure
- Veeam backup and replication 9.5 does not have a direct integrate with Microsoft Azure Blob storage. (UPDATE – Veeam 9.5 update 4 now has direct integration with Microsoft Azure Blob Storage)
- Veeam backup and replication can backup/restore to Microsoft Azure File storage. This is an expensive solution.
- For Veeam to backup/restore data to Microsoft Blob storage, we have to use an intermediate software such as Starwind VTL software or NetApp AltaVault virtual appliance. AFAIK Starwind VTL will be the cheaper solution.
- Starwind VTL software does the same job as AWS Storage Gateway in Tape mode.
Components part of this solution
- Veeam backup and replication 9.5 (onpremise)
- Machine on which Starwind VTL software can be installed (on-premise)
- Microsoft Azure Blob storage (Hot/Cold/Archive Tier)
As you can see Veeam with Microsoft Azure integration requires more investment (license for Starwind VTL) when compared to Veeam with AWS.
Happy solution selling!!..