Post Published On:
In this article I will talk about features available in Veeam and Veritas Backup Exec to perform backup and disaster recovery operations with Microsoft Azure.
Veeam Backup and Replication(VBR)
- Veeam Backup and replication can backup on-premise servers and apps and store it directly on Microsoft Azure file storage (approx. $100/TB). The current version does not support out of the box integration with Microsoft Azure block (object) storage (approx. $20/TB). The next release of the software is expected to have out of the box integration with Microsoft Azure block storage. (UPDATE : Veeam 9.5 update 4 now has integration with Microsoft Blob storage.)
- Veeam Cloud Connect for service provider is a tool that lets a reseller provide backup-as-a-service to customers who are using a licensed Veeam product such as VBR, Veeam agent for Windows/Linux, Veeam backup edition. Veeam Cloud Connect for service provider can run on Microsoft Azure too.
- VBR running on Azure VM can take backup of application running in Microsoft Azure (cloud infrastructure backup).
Veritas Backup Exec
- Current edition of Veritas Backup Exec has out of the box integration with Microsoft Azure block storage to store backup. It has an Azure connector that lets you connect to Microsoft Azure storage.
- Veritas Backup Exec 20.2 has introduced disaster recovery as a service (Instant Cloud Recovery) . This is possible via the integration of Azure Site Recovery. Veritas Backup exec can start and monitor the replication to Azure. It has a widget that shows the status of the replicated VM. Note : we still need to configure ASR components via Azure portal.
- Veritas Backup Exec does not have a model for service provider. (AFAIK Veritas Netbackup does).
- Veritas Backup Exec is available on Azure marketplace. It can be installed on Azure VM and can be used to backup applications running on Azure (cloud infrastructure backup).
Hope the information provided was helpful.
Happy solution selling!!..